Re: Installing a "personal" copy of balsa was: Mime type icons

Hi, Jack,

On 04/26/2017 03:29:52 PM, Jack wrote:
Hello Andreas,

On 2017.04.26 08:54, Andreas Schmidt wrote:
On 04/26/2017 03:00:01 AM, Peter Bloomfield wrote:

it should now be possible to get a fully functional Balsa installation without needing root privileges.

please correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't a "fully functional Balsa" also contain the documentation/help files? Wouldn't you still need root privileges to install these files?

Using this approach would put the ENTIRE installation under whatever directory you specify as "prefix" including executables, libraries, include files, icons, help files, .... It would create bin, lib, include, share, and other folders under the specified location. It would not mix some in system folders and some local. (If you actually have a reason to do that, it is possible using other options to ./configure.)
my wrong -- I get it now! I was misled by the subject, which mentioned only MIME type icons. The reason I asked was that I had stumbled over missing documentation before: After compiling a new version of Balsa, I wanted to give it a try without replacing the (known to be working) existing version. I seem to remember that no help files could be shown from the local version -- right now I tried again, and they are there, though. Well, it was just a question. :-)

Best regards

Andreas