configure options - problem

I'm trying to compile balsa under Kubuntu 16.10 yakkety. configure --help says default spell checker is "no" but configure (even with an explicit --with-spell-checker=no) still fails

checking whether to use an external spell checker... configure enchant
checking for SPELL... no
configure: error: Package requirements ( enchant ) were not met:

If enchant is actually a spell-checker then configure and it's --help need updating, and if it is just a spell-checker framework, then it should not be required if no spell checker is being used.

Have I missed something?

I'm going to install it just so I can continue, but it doesn't seem it should be necessary.

Jack