Re: no pop mail with git head

On 2017.04.16 08:29, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
Hi Jack:

Am 15.04.17 23:53 schrieb(en) Jack:
Trying to fetch mail gets me "POP3 mailbox mailboxname: cannot connect localhost: error: unknown command or bad syntax" for every pop3 mailbox. It's localhost because I use popfile as a spam filter, but it's been working fine for years. In the popfile log, I see:

Please re-check the config dialogue for your mailbox if the security setting is correct. With the latest pop3 patches, I consolidated the IMHO confusing ssl/tls configuration options into a single "security" choice, defaulting to "STARTTLS required". If you use a POP3S on an unencrypted mailbox, this may explain the issue.

Also - I tried 'balsa -d' but it says Unknown option -d. Was this intentionally removed?

All "libnetclient" related transactions, including pop3 and smtp, now use g_debug(). So, instead of the command line option, you can try

G_MESSAGES_DEBUG=all /path/to/balsa

For one server, I get

Message: 140011706032352, 0, POP3: aya-gmail
** (balsa:2808): DEBUG: connected to localhost
** (balsa:2808): DEBUG: R '+OK POP3 POPFile (v1.1.3) server ready'
** (balsa:2808): DEBUG: W 'CAPA'
** (balsa:2808): DEBUG: R '-ERR No secure server specified'
** (balsa:2808): DEBUG: emit 'auth' signal for client 0x30f8600
** (balsa:2808): DEBUG: libbalsa_server_get_auth: 0x30f8600 0x290cb60: encrypted = 0
** (balsa:2808): DEBUG: W 'QUIT'
** (balsa:2808): DEBUG: R '+OK goodbye'
** (balsa:2808): DEBUG: finalised connection to localhost

Remember, I'm using popfile, so the connection from balsa to popfile is localhost, and cannot use any encryption. The use of ssl is specified by the username passed to popfile, in this case: pop.gmail.com:ostroffjh (at) aya.yale.edu:ssl. (actual @ in the real string, no spaces) That tells popfile to use ssl to connect to the actual server at pop.gmail.com.

Note this has worked up until the most recent changes. What I can't parse is exactly where each of the lines above comes from: balsa, popfile, or gmail. I'm going to try to see if I can match lines from balsa's debug and popfile's debug. My best guess right now is that there is an issue between the attempt to use ssl between popfile and gmail (or yahoo) and the lack of security between balsa and popfile (both on localhost).

Jack