Re: Security issues (ssl/tls) was: Anyone else seeing slow gmail

On 2016.07.22 12:08, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
Am 21.07.16 23:58 schrieb(en) Jack:
Is there any (reasonably easy) way to determine which version is actually being used? I've tried balsa -d with debug checked in the config page, but don't see anything useful. In the popfile log, I see "pop3: 529: Attempting to connect to SSL server at pop.gmail.com:995" but a few lines later I see "auth plaintext". I suppose next I'll start digging into the ssl config itself to see what logging it does. I really don't want to have to resort to setting up wireshark, but I suppose it's an option to be certain.

Wireshark is actually the most easy way:
- choose the proper interface
- set "tcp.port == 995 && ssl.handshake" as filter

In the dump, the "Protocol" column will show the protocol version being used (TLSv1 or TLSv1.1 or TLSv1.2 - only the latter should be used). You may want to look into the packet details to see the negotiated cipher, etc. Note that even if Balsa offers (in the client hello negotiation phase) TLSv1.2, the server may force the connection to use TLSv1.

The "auth plaintext" operation is absolutely safe if it is performed over an encrypted connection.

Very strange.  There are three pop servers I use.
1) inbound.att.net, which shows in wireshark with a different (yahoo based) name, but the right IP address. It does use TLSv1.2

2) pop3.frontier.com, of which I see no evidence in the wireshark capture. Once I changed a :995 to :ssl in the setup, it did start using 995.

3) pop.gmail.com. The name does not show up in wireshark, but there is talk with an IP address which does at least look up to Google. It is also using TLSv1.2, with TLS_ECDHE_TSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA. So - balsa apparently does use TLSv1.2, and now I am back to not knowing what gmail is complaining about with an insecure connection. I've asked again through the university who provides that gmail account.

Still more homework to do - I'll post a follow-up when I have any more useful information.

Jack