Re: gmail issues. was: Anyone else seeing slow gmail

On 07/21/2016 11:09:56 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2016.07.21 12:54, Mike Witt wrote:
On 07/21/2016 10:14:03 AM, Jack wrote:
However, I do have a separate question on pop for gmail. (I thought I had previously asked this, but can't find the message now.) When I first set up my gmail account for balsa, gmail complained about some security issue (obviously without providing any useful details) and I had to check the "ok to use less secure email client" in the gmail configuration before it would let balsa (with popfile) get access. I'd love to know exactly what gmail thinks is deficient in the security used by balsa/popfile, since I can't think of what else they could do.

I had to check that "less secure" thing a long time ago too. I haven't seen or had any reason to believe there's been any problem on account of it. I don't remember the details now, but at the time I convinced myself that there was at least somewhat of a "marketing" component in that "secure email client" business. But I'm cynical that way, so I may just be spouting rubbish.

Well, I heartily spout the same rubbish. :-) Mine isn't even a "real" gmail account, but an alumni account, so I have trouble actually getting much direct technical support. I think they are just trying very hard to get you to use the webmail interface, so they can spout more ads at you.

Just to complain more, another problem I have is I occasionally get an email which breaks my pop download - it consistently drops the connection in the middle of downloading that message. Unfortunately, because of google's great wisdom that labels make folders unnecessary, I can't simply move the message out of the was to another folder, so i can look at it later. (It hasn't happened in a while, but I suspect this message may trigger another one soon....)

Yikes. I haven't seen that one yet.

Oh well, at least balsa does work with it.

Thank goodness. If that stops working ...

Well, last time I checked, popmail still worked with Yahoo. There's one backup.

Jack