Re: new crash on leaving a message

Hi Jack!

On 08/22/2016 06:52:59 PM Mon, Jack wrote:
On 2016.08.22 13:06, Jack wrote:
I have a message I just received, which I have no trouble viewing, but as soon as I leave the message
(deleting, selecting another message, selecting another mailbox) balsa crashes.  Strace ends with:
write(2, "\n(balsa:19050): gtkhtml-CRITICAL"..., 98
(balsa:19050): gtkhtml-CRITICAL **: html_engine_unrealize: assertion 'HTML_IS_ENGINE (e)' failed
Balsa is compiled from git, gtk3 branch, with gtkmthm 4.10.0.  I suppose I'll reinstall webkit-gtk, but
that's a long compile, and I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow, so I doubt I can troubleshoot much before I get
home.  I was able to manually edit the mbox file, and move the bad message to its own file, so I can keep
working.

The odd thing about the message is that it's rather short, with
and the unencoded content being essentially "<p>message about a successful bill payment</p>" where the
message is only one line, 118 characters, with no non-printable or other strange characters.

I can try downgrading gtkhtml from 4.10.0 to 4.8.5 to see if it matters, but I just don't understand why the crash is
on leaving the message, not on displaying it.  By the way, "display source" works fine, and closing the
source window is also OK.  Not sure what else I can try, in terms of debugging.

As always, thanks for any suggestions.

Jack
Well, it turns out this is not new.  Google led me back to this mailing list in August, 2011.  Ildar reported the issue, and
Peter's response was "Yes, I see the same thing.  It seems to happen when when clearing the display after showing an HTML
message part to show something else, and it seems to happen only for certain HTML parts, not all, but predictably for the
vulnerable parts." and suggested it was a gtkhtml4 bug.  Well, I have a short example - where should I file it?  Even if the
entire HTML snippet is <p>.....</p> which may not be legal html, it shouldn't just crash.  Unfortunately, I'm leaving
for vacation tomorrow, so I don't have enough time to switch back to webkit until I return.

I just configured Balsa with html-widget = gtkhtml4 for the first time in a while. It just doesn't work well!
Scrolling a message that needs scrolling made the text disappear in a flash, and I had the same crash on
selecting a non-html message. We must be using the widget incorrectly, but I'm not sure how.

Has anyone had success with a gtkhtml4 build?