Re: First run problems

Hi pancake,

On 04/24/2013 05:37:01 AM Wed, pancake wrote:
If you dont have /var/mail or ~/.balsa on the first setup you get an
error that says:

  Problem Creating Mailboxes
Couldn't create a directory: mkdir() failed on pathname "/var/mail".

wtf? why a user program would ever try to create a directory there?

Balsa guesses where your mail spool file is by trying various common locations (libbalsa_guess_mail_spool, in
libbalsa/libbalsa.c).  It then checks that location, and the other special mailboxes (sentbox, and so on) using code
that verifies that the whole path exists, and tries to create the path if it doesn't.  That typically succeeds if the
path is something like ~/mail/sentbox, but of course creation fails if the path is /var/mail/$USER.  So the
"Problem" was actually failing to find your mail spool file, and the mkdir() failure is just a symptom; the
error message could be improved :)

Can you suggest any additions to the places that Balsa checks?  Currently it's:

$MAIL
/var/mail/$USER
/var/spool/mail/$USER
/usr/spool/mail/$USER
/usr/mail/$USER

and, if all else fails:
~/mailbox

after this error it jumps back to the wizard again and again.

I didn't get that.  I moved ~/.balsa, ~/mail, and /var/mail/$USER out of the way and restarted Balsa.  I went
through the first-time assistant stuff and saw that complaint about mkdir(), but I didn't see the wizard
again.

But I *do* have /var/mail, I only renamed my own spool file, which might explain the difference.  Did you try
manually entering the correct location?

On second run (after quiting balsa) you get the wizard again which doesnt fails like before and lets you go into the
main window. Click on compose message and "Boom!"

Here's what i get in the console:

** (balsa:19867): WARNING **: Balsa cannot open your "Inbox" mailbox.

** (balsa:19867): WARNING **: Balsa cannot open your "Outbox" mailbox.

** (balsa:19867): WARNING **: Balsa cannot open your "Sentbox" mailbox.

** (balsa:19867): WARNING **: Balsa cannot open your "Draftbox" mailbox.

** (balsa:19867): WARNING **: Balsa cannot open your "Trash" mailbox.

** (balsa:19867): WARNING **: *** error loading mailboxes

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I couldn't reproduce that.  It could be an assumption that one of the standard mailboxes (draftbox?) is
non-NULL, but your backtrace isn't detailed enough to pin it down.  I tried moving ~/mail out of the way, and
that gave me several messages about non-existent mailboxes, but no crash on opening a compose window.  Can
you give more detailed instructions?

Thanks!