Checking mbox for new mail fails - new insights

Hi,

as I reported earlier, the git-version (gtk3) of Balsa doesn't check my mbox file for new mail anymore - neither automatically nor if the 'Check' button is pressed.

Now I've found out, that the following procedure does this checking though
it's tedious.

If I press the right mouse button on 'Inbox' and select 'Properties' a new window appears. If I change the 'Subscribe for new mail check' button (i.e. set to unset or unset to set), the 'Update' button becomes undimmed. Now pressing this button does check for new mail in the Inbox and displays it.

Hopefully, this gives some pointers to where the problem might be.
I someone can tell where this checking is done I have a look at the sources myself.

Thanks,
Helmut.