Re: Outgoing message truncated at dot wrapped on single line

Pawel,

thank you. I followed your instructions, this is what I got:

Balsa's debug mode does not reveil anything suspicious to me in stdout while sending a to-be-truncated email. As the ouput contains some strings that look like obfuscated or encrypted passwords (after "C: AUTH LOGIN"), I am not sure if it is safe to share it. Please point me to any reliable information source telling me that it is, and I will happily send it to you.

"strace -olog -ff" yields a lot of log files, only one of which contains the string "EHLO", but n o t the the mail content. I found a small portions of the mail in another log file:
write(12, "\nkann ich nat=C3=BCrlich versuch"..., 86) = 86
and
read(11, "\nkann ich nat=C3=BCrlich versuch"..., 86) = 86
What else should I look for in these files?

Eventually, the faked SMTP session with lavabit.com went fine, i. e. the two dots were not interpreted as the end of the mail. Here is the complete session (for better readability, the input lines are indented):
$  telnet lavabit.com 25
Trying 72.249.41.52...
Connected to lavabit.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 lavabit.com ESMTP lavad
   ehlo localhost
250-lavabit.com
250-8BITMIME
250-STARTTLS
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 1073741824
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
250 Okay.
   mail from: example example com
250 Sender okay.
   rcpt to: carlos_franke lavabit com
250 Recipient okay.
   data
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself.
   line 1
   ..
   line 2
   .
250 Message accepted.
   quit
221 Bye.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Also, this session successfully sent an email to me (sender: example example com) – a somewhat distorted one, though: the Date, From, Subject and To header lines are repeated at the end of the body.

So much for that. What should I do next?

Carlos