Re: Balsa questions

Hi Marko!

On 12/17/2011 08:29:46 AM Sat, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

Hi, I'm looking for a plain GUI email client and am interested in Balsa
(balsa-2.4.11-1.fc16.x86_64).

Welcome!

Can I make Balsa read mail from ~/Maildir?

Yes.  I assume it's a maildir-style folder (with cur, new, and tmp subdirectories); if so, you should set your "local mail directory" to something else, say ~/mail, then you can use "File: New: Local Maildir mailbox" to make Balsa access ~/Maildir.  If not, just make it your local mail directory.

Can I make Balsa send mail using my sendmail wrapper?

Balsa's default is to use port 25 on localhost, so if sendmail is set up to handle that port it should all just work.

Can I make Balsa store mail in a Maildir-like format (one message per
file)?

Yes.  If ~/Maildir is a Maildir folder, and you get Balse to use it as described above, Balsa will use Maildir procedures to store messages in it.  Also, if you have Maildir folders anywhere in your local mail directory, Balsa will find them and handle them appropriately.

The initial configuration wizard didn't give me these options, and I
couldn't find them in the preferences, either.

There's a mention of Maildir in the help file, but the description of mailbox formats is a bit sketchy.  Basically, Balsa searches the local mail directory, looking for mbox-style files, mh-style directories, and maildir-style directories, and presents you with a tree in which a folder could be any of those styles.  It also descends into mh- and maildir-style directories, looking for nested folders of the same style.  It does *not* know about dotted-name nesting.

HTH!