Re: Need help debugging send problems.

On 03/07/2009 08:43:20 AM, Mark A. Flacy wrote:
> > Well, evolution doesn't appear to support or use BDAT.  At least
> > according to the trace.
>
> BDAT [1] data can and will be split on many packets if there is enough
> data. BDAT is really like DATA command except that it saves the
> receiving server from looking for the ending dot. It looks like a bug > in the SMTP server you use which apparently is not that uncommon[2]...

OK, fair enough. But...

1) I couldn't figure this out from any balsa command line options.  I
*had* to use wireshark to watch the trace.

I am not sure what capability you are after? This is not exactly a common problem.

2) If it isn't that uncommon for SMTP servers to mishandle BDAT, then I
should be able to configure balsa to not use it.

I have not idea how common are BDAT-related bugs. I just did a quick search for BDAT bug and got that hit. balsa uses libesmtp for mail submission and libesmtp does not provide any facility to disable using the extensions as far as I can tell - but I guess we could develop a patch for libesmtp, and during balsa compilation detect the presence of modified libesmtp library. I see in the libesmtp-1.0.4 code a workaround mentioned:

      /* Workaround - M$ Exchange is broken wrt RFC 3030 */

but I guess this does not fix it for you - what SMTP server do you use? relay.verizon.net does not appear to support CHUNKING not externally at least...

It's rather annoying to fire up evolution to respond to the balsa
mailing list.

I can understand your pain... I have to use another mailer at work and I scream inside every time I send an email...

Pawel