Balsa question

Out of curiosity, how does balsa number messages in a maildir mailbox? In an mbox file, they are numbered by message order within the file. I mostly use mbox, but I have one maildir mailbox set up, and for some reason, the message numbers caught my eye, and I can't figure them out. #1 is the newest message and the highest number happens to be the oldest, but I can't see any other pattern.

Thanks for any response or even which fine manual I should read.

Jack