Re: Balsa doesn't respect "Return-Path"

Hi, Peter!

On 06/23/2008 06:04:55 PM, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
> Balsa has no problem with accented characters in headers, provided
> they're   properly encoded per RFC 2047.  The '.' character isn't
> allowed in an encoded word in the From: header field.  If you hand-
> edit that line to remove the '.'s, or encode them as "=2E", I believe
> the message will be  displayed correctly.
Oh, the intricacies of composing e-mails! You're right -- I removed the
dots and the message displayed correctly!

> Well...as you pasted it into the mail, the continuation line
> "<boehne vermessung-XXX de>" isn't prefixed with the required white
> space;  if that's really how it's presented in the message, you'd
> also need to insert a space or a tab, for it to be recognized as a
> continuation.
Nope, that's just the auto linebreak I have activated in balsa;
actually, there is a space there.

> The message certainly was mangled somewhere along the line!  The
> structured.
Sorry, that was my fault at c'n'p-ing. One shouldn't do such stuff
overworked and under-slept. :-) Actually, it looks like this:

*****
*****

> As to using the Return-Path: field as a fall-back address for the
> reply:
> According to RFC 2821, it's the address to which error messages
> should be   sent, and it's inserted by the SMTP server making the
> final delivery of  the message.
OK, I admit I don't know RFC 2821 that well. I just thought that with
the mail so messed up, perhaps they also put a non-standard header in
there. Seemed to make sense as the Return-Path is identical with the
sender's address and "Reply-to" is close enough in meaning to it. :-)

> So it's quite possible for it to be  different from the  sender, and
> using it could well raise privacy  issues.
And we sure don't want that to happen! Therefore, I herewith formally
withdraw my request. :-)

> Having to find the  correct address and enter it by hand is probably
> better--although having a  correctly encoded From: field is best!
Absolutely. I'll drop him a line about the encoding mistake. Perhaps he
can convince his company's admin to do something about their setup --
or at least remove the dots from his header.

Thanks for putting me on the right track!

Best regards,

Andreas