Re: Automatic address completion and general address handling

On 02/16/2006 10:08:46 PM, Mark Flacy wrote:
Greetings,

The help text that is part of Balsa 2.3.10 mentions that...

"Also, some address books are expensive to lookup. You will need then to press Ctrl-R to explicitly expand the alias."

This doc is unfortunately out of date...

That doesn't appear to be the case, both in that there isn't any way to tag an address book as being expensive and that Ctrl-R doesn't do anything that I could tell.

Searching my company's LDAP database for addresses is expensive; when balsa decides to try is also uncontrollable. It is especially infuriating when I am in the middle of typing the name and Balsa attempts to perform the lookup. It would be nice if we could configure a delay in keyboard input prior to trotting off to perform the search. It would also be nice to have a key binding that would trigger the lookup when the auto-expand is set to false. I'd be happy with just the latter.

It would also be exceedingly nice to have a widget that allowed you to efficiently edit the various address lists in a reply. I'm not certain what the interaction is, but attempting to highlight subsets of the address list in order to delete appears to trigger the LDAP lookup.

In other words, there are two problems:

1. LDAP queries should not block the typing (I think I can look at this but no promises)
.
2. the address widget should allow for easier address list edition (multiline widget?)

How long does it take your server to answer a query? Are we talking about 1 second, 10 seconds?

Pawel