Re: Some hints for usability improvements

On 02/11/2006 05:10:03 PM, Steffen Klemer wrote:
[ snip ]
Really an improvement! I like it.

Thanks!

Only the first page (the one with the servers) looks a little bit odd. It's too narrow and should automatically expand to the width of the window.

I'm really conflicted about that! If the contents are naturally narrow, they can look really strange if expanded to fill the window.

Internally, the organization is still nested notebooks, but with the tabs and borders hidden. Re Notebooks, the HIG suggests:

Although the contents of each page in a notebook will take up a different amount of space, do not use larger than normal spacing around the controls in the "emptier" pages, and do not center the controls on the page.

I'm still not sure what that means--I read it as preferring the tight layout that's implemented, but that may be completely wrong!

An alternative would be to pack all the pages in a box, and hide all but one of them--I *believe* each one would then be shown at its natural width, and the size would jump around as you step between pages. The notebook avoids the jumpiness, but raises the present issue...sigh ;-(