Virtual Trash Folder

Back in Januray there was a thread entitled
 "Re: 'Delete' v. 'Move to trash'".

See http://mail.gnome.org/archives/balsa-list/2005-January/msg00002.html
for the start of the thread.

The idea was to collapse the two different kinds of delete into one while preserving existing functionality. This would be less confusing to new users and would simplify the interface. It could also be the basis for generic user-definable virtual folders.

My understanding is that it would go something like this:

* actual messages remain in their original mailbox with
  deleted flag set

* Trash is no longer a real mailbox, but an index consisting
  of pointers to messages marked as deleted in the various
  mailboxes

* keep the "Hide (/unhide) messages marked as deleted"
  preference

* deleting from Trash folder permanently deletes message

Questions

- what about non-local mailboxes and synchronization?
   - do we keep a persistent state?
   - do we have a lazy update? (items don't appear in
     Trash until remote mailbox is checked?)
   - other ideas?

- still use expunge (per mailbox), or just "Empty Trash"
  (all mailboxes)?

- what about same message in two different mailboxes?
   - should be okay if both are clearly labeled in terms
     of originating mailbox

Comments?