Re: outgoing mail encoding preference

On 03/09/2005 06:36:16 PM, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
Hi all,

when looking through balsa's prefs, I wonder why we offer a selection for the transfer encoding (7bit, 8bit, quoted). IMHO quoted is the *only* safe setting here, as 7bit would collide with all national chars, and 8bit is not safe for every MTA. Any MIME compliant MUA *must* accept quoted according to the RFC's. So why don't we hard-code quoted for all text/something; base64 is used in ay case for all other content types?

Quoted is even usable for people who have prehistoric MUA's (I know an astronomer who still uses elm *without* MIME support!) - the input will look somewhat garbled, but it's still more or less readable.

Is there anyone who *really* needs 7bit or 8bit? Otherwise I would prepare a patch to remove this option completely from the project.

This selection is just a historic thing, as far as I can tell - but please double-check the --without-smtp build!

Pawel