erratic sending of messages with 2.3.0

I am a long-time Balsa user, running Debian 'unstable' on a i386 system (1.7 GHz Celeron). I just upgraded to Balsa 2.3.0.

Before configuring Balsa, I created a 'maildir' structure for each of the default mailboxes, e.g.,

   ~/mail/inbox/cur
               /new
               /tmp
   ~/mail/outbox/cur
                /new
                /tmp
   ~/mail/sentbox/cur
                 /new
                 /tmp
   ~/mail/draftbox/cur
                  /new
                  /tmp
   ~/mail/trash/cur
               /new
               /sent

I took this approach -- that of creating the maildirs before configuring Balsa -- after several unsuccessful attempts at converting from the default 'mailbox' structure to 'maildir' after configuring Balsa. (It would be very nice to be able to select 'maildir' during the initial configuration!)

In the PREFERENCES -> MAIL SERVERS -> OUTGOING MAIL, I set 'Remote SMTP Server' to 'localhost:25'.

In PREFERENCES -> MAIL OPTIONS -> OUTGOING, I selected 'Send button always queues outgoing mail in Outbox.'

I am using 'getmail' to fetch messages from two POP3 servers and deposit them in ~/mail/inbox.

But now messages sometimes 'hang' forever in Outbox, some are sent immediately, and some are sent after a delay of a few minutes. Is this behaviour caused by my use of the 'maildir' structure?

I also notice that routine operations such as moving from one message to the next in Inbox (with preview pane open) has become painfully slow and jumpy. Is this a result of using the 'maildir' structure? Or is Balsa getting slower as features are added? I increased the RAM complement from 256 Mbyte to 512 Mbyte, but Balsa still is slow and jumpy.

RLH