Re: Balsa 2.2.0 end user impressions - OUTBOX discussion

Steffen Klemer wrote:

One has to think about that because it was planned to give an smtp-server per identity - That way the user should have to choose another identity to stay consistent

You are right. So it would be better to just close the popup and change the identity with the regular identity chooser.

2. "Save message to folder". The folder can be chosen freely. If it's unreachable (IMAP down), this is another problem. The user has either to choose a reachable one or:

And here it gets complicated again ;) (hmm, which folder to choose - a lets put it into drafts - and you know each of us - 1 000€ that the user will forget resending :) A default box for storing unsendable mails is better and necessary (even for Balsa -> that way it finds all unsent ones... The more I think about it, the more it becomes a (simple :) online/ offline issue...

3. "Save message to file". This replaces the "always local outbox".

very bad idea (no one will ever remember to check every single file on his hd just to look for unsent msgs...)

Very questionable attitude. Speaking for my person I'd stick to windows if I'd prefer software trying to take care for me by cutting off options.

I dislike BMW capping max speed at 250 km/h, too. A car reading traffic signs and adjusting max speed according to the signs would be a nightmare.

Btw.: Give the saved files a name like "<subject>.email" and balsa an adequate reimport filter - problem solved.

To come to a conclusion: The problem with the Outbox is mainly a online/ offline/ syncing one... (Who wants to patch an on/off mode? *hehe*) Whether the unsent msgs are presented in an Outbox or marked in the Sentbox is a smaller (visual) issue.

99 % agreed (This functionality is required), but for being accidentially offline I dislike a MUA assuming to have a proper solution for the problem.

If I fasely assume I am online and want to send a message, the MUA can't accomplish my wish, so it has to stop there where the problem appeared and mustn't follow an alternative path - this means the compose window stands open with an option dialog. It stops there where it couldn't proceed any further and asks me - his boss - what to do now. And I am responsible for all trouble if I choose bad options. Thats life.

Regards,

Joe