Re: HEAD cvs autogen.sh

Hi Peter,

Le 21.07.2004 17:07:49, Peter Bloomfield a écrit :
On 07/21/2004 05:19:51 AM, Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:
Hi,

As I've reported it earlier, when using debian and autogen, the default value for automake is 1.4;

It appears that this version of automake is not suitable to build balsa.

The simple fix is to add the following line in the autogen.sh script of the balsa tree:

REQUIRED_AUTOMAKE_VERSION=<required_version>

Hi Jean-Luc!

This by itself didn't work for me, but I don't have gnome-common installed--do you? To make it work, I had to replace 1.4 with $REQUIRED_AUTOMAKE_VERSION, globally in macros/autogen.sh.

yes, I have gnome-common installed.

Also, my setup (FC2) has 1.8, but not 1.7. I guess we need to detect the version; this worked for me:

REQUIRED_AUTOMAKE_VERSION=`automake --version | grep automake | cut - d' ' -f4 | cut -d. -f1,2`

but it's kinda ugly (and also pointless--why not use generic auto* tools, instead of requiring a specific version?)

and adding the single line as I told before make it to work with the debian environnement.

With Debian, with this variable, you can tell the version you want and system is scanned from the higher version until it find a working one.
The gnome stuff doesnt support 1.8 for the moment.

I've several installed and I've choosen 1.7 but maybe 1.6 is enough and a tet (editing the macros/autogen) shows that it works for 1.8 too.

I think the *required* version should be the lower acceptable one. and obviously, 1.4 is no more enough.

--
		- Jean-Luc