howto compile balsa?

Hi all,
I bet a lot of you are pretty sick of seeing compilation problems on
this list, since I see them all the time here. Hopefully however, you
can still stomach one more... my pardons if this post is too long- my
guess that'll be my loss and noone else's.

I've been trying to compile both balsa-2.0.16 and 2.1.0 to no avail.
I want gpgme and ssl support, so I enabled these with
./configure --with-ssl --with-gpgme=/usr/include
(all the the devel libs are installed and up to date)
and I've also been wondering what GSS is, and I've also tried the
--with-gss option.

Although I'm sure I'm doing things right both versions of balsa give me
compile errors, albeit different ones:

balsa-2.0.16 gives:
[...]
g-prototypes -Wreturn-type -c address-entry.c
In file included from message.h:31,
                 from libbalsa.h:38,
                 from address-entry.c:41:
rfc3156.h:53: error: parse error before "gpgme_error_t"
rfc3156.h:53: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
rfc3156.h:54: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
rfc3156.h:55: error: parse error before "trust"
rfc3156.h:55: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
rfc3156.h:61: error: parse error before '}' token

which looks like a gpgme problem ("parse error before
"gpgme_error_t""),

and balsa-2.1.0 gives
[...]
prototypes -Wreturn-type -c libbalsa.c
libbalsa.c: In function `ask_cert_real':
libbalsa.c:371: error: `SHORT_STRING' undeclared (first use in this
function)
libbalsa.c:371: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
once
libbalsa.c:371: error: for each function it appears in.)
libbalsa.c:420: error: `OP_MAX' undeclared (first use in this function)
libbalsa.c:421: error: `OP_SAVE' undeclared (first use in this
function)
libbalsa.c:423: error: `OP_EXIT' undeclared (first use in this
function)
libbalsa.c: At top level:
libbalsa.c:455: warning: no previous prototype for
`libmutt_ask_for_cert_acceptance'
make[3]: *** [libbalsa.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/comotion/downloads/balsa-2.1.0/
libbalsa'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/comotion/downloads/balsa-2.1.0/
libbalsa'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/comotion/downloads/balsa-2.1.0'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

which just looks like a missing file or something.

I doubt sincerely that the tarballs are somehow borked, and I'm
therefore wondering what exactly it is that I am doing wrong. I'm using
a fairly new gcc, 3.3, which sometimes causes problems. Could this be
the problem?

If someone could point me to some sort of compilation troubleshooting
guide or FAQ, or other source that could help me resolve these
problems, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
	Kacper
--
My GnuPG public key is available from pgp.mit.edu

PGP signature