Re: ANNOUNCE: development balsa-2.1.0 released

On 01/12/2004 05:50:28 PM, J.A. Magallon wrote:

> On 01.12, Steffen Klemer wrote:
>> 3) Some mails aren't parsed correctly (haven't found a scheme
>> which are and which are not, yet. Sometimes (seldomly) you
>> have unread entries in the msg-list with no sender and no
>> subject and the date 01.01.1970 1:00 Other times the sender is
>> there but no subject and the date is as well 1970.
> >

> Try to read this in balsa-2.1. In my case, it breaks messages
> when it finds from: string at the beginning of a line, like
> from here
> to here
> (is this a new message, displayed with bas headers ?)
>
> ;)

A message that contains a line beginning `From ' is a problem in
an mbox file, because that marks the start of a new message.
Libmutt used one strategy to cope, and GMime uses another, so
Balsa-2.1.0 may misparse an mbox file containing messages that
were stored there by Balsa-2.0.x.  If you:
- use Balsa-2.0.x to move the message to a maildir or mh mailbox;
- then use Balsa-2.1.0 to move it back;
it should be parsed and displayed correctly (provided Balsa-2.1.0
didn't mangle the mailbox as a result of misparsing it!).

Afaik, GMime can't be instructed to use the libmutt `Lines:' and
'Content-Length:' headers to correctly parse the mailbox, so we
have no way to avoid the transition problem.