Re: Re : Stalled when gpg is updating the thrusted database

I meanwhile got some more information about this problem from the GnuPG
gurus (see attached message), and I'll write an extension to catch this
case asap. Thanks for pointing me to that; on my machine (on an isdn line)
rebuilding the db with ~40 keys takes less than one second...

Cheers, Albrecht.

Am 17.02.04 14:45 schrieb(en) Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh):
> Hi,
>
> Some more informations about this problem:
> This occurs when I select some message where I suppose the key is not
> yet known.
>
> I've the same problem with mutt. It stays stalled getting the PGP key.
> But with mutt, a Crtl-C gives the access to the message body.
>
> With balsa, I've it stalled while doing the update of the trusted
> database.
>
> If I launch gpa at this moment, there is a popud saying to wait until
> the trusted database is upated. This can last more than 15 minutes. When
> it is finished, I have the access to gpa .. and to balsa too..

 Albrecht Dreß  -  Johanna-Kirchner-Straße 13  -  D-53123 Bonn (Germany)
       Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  mailto:albrecht.dress@arcor.de

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 11:05:05AM +0100, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
> Is there a way to check if gpg is currently performing an update of the
> trust database, either triggered automatically or by explicitly running it
> with --update-trustdb? The preferred way for me would of course be asking
> through gpgme, but a "direct access" would be also ok.
>
> The background of this question: A user of the mua balsa for which I
> hacked gpg(me) support complained that when checking a message with
> signature for which the key is not yet in the key ring, gpg tries to load
> the key and updates the database, which takes up to 15 minutes for him.
> During this time gpg is unavailable, so balsa simply stalls. Therefore, I
> would like to check if gpg is available before launching this operation.

You can look for a "trustdb.gpg.lock" file in whatever directory the
trustdb.gpg file is.

That said, though, 15 minutes is really long.  How many keys does the
user have?  Did they run --rebuild-keydb-caches?

David