Re: Balsa hangs when turning off SSL for IMAP

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 00:53:02, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
On 08/21/2004 03:21:40 PM, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
[ snip ]
> But I changed TLS to SSL, and after that INBOX/Sent/Drafts/ > Trash got shown at the root of the folder tree, and listed > seperately under Settings -> Preferences -> Mailservers, even > after a restart. Changing the setting back to TLS fixed things > again. Weird eh ?

Hi Mike!

What you're seeing may be a consequence of having the IMAP scan depth set to 1. Balsa defers scanning a full IMAP folder tree, but needs the special mailboxes all the time, so it creates specific entries in the config file to get access to the special mailboxes even before they've been found in the folder tree. As the tree is scanned, when it comes across a mailbox that's been marked as special, Balsa removes the top level instance and marks the instance in the tree appropriately.

Here's how it works for me: I've put my Sentbox and Draftbox on an IMAP server, which (because it's a Cyrus server) means they're INBOX.Sent and INBOX.Drafts, respectively. If I start up with the folder collapsed, Sentbox and Draftbox are at the top level; Settings => Prefs => Mail Servers shows them individually, in addition to the server.

If I expand the server node to show INBOX, the tree is scanned one level deeper, and INBOX.Sent and INBOX.Drafts are added to the mailbox list and marked as special, and the top level Sentbox and Draftbox disappear. Now Settings => Prefs => Mail Servers shows only the server entry.

I'm guessing that the different displays you see depend on whether the folder is expanded, not on whether it's configured for SSL or TLS.

No, that isn't the case. As soon as I enable SSL (thereby
disabling TLS), the following happens right at the moment
I click the "Update" button:

- INBOX/Sent/Drafts/Trash folders are shown at the top of the tree
- IMAP Server tree gets collapsed (normally I have it expanded
 up to three levels deep). I have scan depth set to one, so
 it shows the tree one level deep.
- In the IMAP server tree I still see the INBOX/Sent/Drafts/Trash
 folders, only they are not marked as "special mailbox" anymore

When I disable SSL (going back to TLS) everything gets back to
normal the very moment I click the Update button.

Mike.