recent troubles compiling

Hi all,

after a recent cvs update I could no longer compile balsa head, so I re-checked out the source. Now, autogen.sh fails:

processing .
deletefiles is
Running intltoolize...
patching file po/Makefile.in.in
Running libtoolize...
Running aclocal-1.4  ...
Running autoheader...
Running automake-1.4 --gnu  ...
libbalsa/Makefile.am:6: BUILD_WITH_GPGME does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL libbalsa/Makefile.am:108: warning: automake does not support conditional definition of libbalsa_gpgme_extra_dist in EXTRA_DIST
**Error**: automake-1.4 failed.

I tried using automake 1.7 in case that was it, but the script detects and uses 1.4. If 1.4 is not present it fails saying "you must have automake".

I also tried the 2.2.3 official tarball, but that fails on configure:
configure:
error: *** Neither aspell >=0.50 (recommended) nor pspell (deprecated) library was found. Please check http://balsa.gnome.org for information on the required files. Alternatively, check config.log for clues.

libaspell-dev is indeed installed:
ii  libaspell-dev  0.50.5-3

Any clues? config.log doesn't give me much in terms of clues, but I've attached the bzipped log if someone else here can make sense of it.

-Kacper