Re: balsa-2.2.2 released - some issues . .

Pawel,

See inline comments:

>  I keep getting an error on retrieving mail from my pop account
> (2.0.17 works obviously).

Would you care running balsa -d? What's the error message you get?

[phil prix phil]$ balsa -d
POP S: +OK <5098 1092272357 prix pricom com au>
POP C: CAPA
POP S: -ERR authorization first
POP C: APop phil 43d2fb5b33cecefdd0006c547628a3cc
POP S: -ERR authorization failed
opening Inbox..
done, msgcnt=0
POP S: +OK <7348 1092272397 prix pricom com au>
POP C: CAPA
POP S: -ERR authorization first
POP C: APop phil f8e32fac31fe1814e97ad7e3bcf1bd30
POP S: -ERR authorization failed
[phil prix phil]$

> I can telnet to port 110, login and list mail etc as normal but

> when I use:
> # /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup pricom.com.au
> /usr/local/bin/checkpassword
> pwd
> +OK <21376 1092246857 pricom com au>
> user phil
> +OK
> pass xxxxxxxx
> -ERR unable to write pipe
>
>  - this was not working when I was using 2.0.17 (I realise now) but

> didn't seem to cause a problem with that version - is 2.0.17
> bypassing   qmail-popup or something?

Cannot help here, I have never used qmail-popup - is it a tool to
fetch
mail from a remote pop3 server and feed it to qmail?

From the man page:

NAME
      qmail-popup - read a POP username and password
SYNOPSIS
      qmail-popup hostname subprogram
DESCRIPTION
qmail-popup reads a POP username and password from the network. It then runs subprogram.
      qmail-popup is most commonly invoked from inetd as
         qmail-popup CHANGEME checkpassword qmail-pop3d Maildir
with CHANGEME replaced by the fully qualified domain name of the local host.

- I had assumed that this was getting used for any pop requests.

> Questions:
>
> - 2.2.2 seems a lot slower to start up?

Shouldn't be...

I'm pretty sure it is - from what others said it looks like it is the initial scanning of the mailboxes - I have a few large ones too . .

>  - lots of mailboxes that were previously unhighlighted (no unread

> mail)  are now highlighted and some of the mails have no subjects -

> is 2.2.2   not handling the mails the same way as 2.0.17?

Definetely not: the mailbox drivers have been completely replaced.
Please report if you see bugs - thes missing subjects seem suspicious.

This seems to have been pretty much covered by other responses . .

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

Pricom Pty Limited  (ACN 003 252 275  ABN 91 003 252 275)
GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW	2001
Australia
Mobile:  +61:0411-185-652