ANNOUNCE: development balsa-2.1.2 released

Hello,

Balsa team would like to officially announce balsa-2.1.2 release
available at http://balsa.gnome.org/

This is fairly stable release of the development code of balsa - we have
a number of people who use it daily. You can get balsa-2.1.2 directly
from
http://balsa.gnome.org/balsa-2.1.2.tar.bz2
http://balsa.gnome.org/balsa-2.1.2-1.src.rpm
http://balsa.gnome.org/balsa-2.1.2-1.i386.rpm (built on RH9)

The src.rpm file includes gmime and is ready for immediate building.
Building from tarball requires earlier installation of gmime library.
Gmime library is available from
http://spruce.sourceforge.net/gmime/ or directly from
http://balsa.gnome.org/gmime-2.1.3.tar.bz2

Observe that gmime-2.1.3 is recommended because of time zone handling bug
in earlier releases.

Major highlights of this release are:

- POP3 with TLS and PIPELINING. This means improved security (TLS:
negotiated encryption) and reduced download time (PIPELINING: the POP3
commands are now send in batches). Observe that a server with matching
capabilities is required to take advantage of these features (-d option
to balsa might provide the answer, look for the answer to CAPA command).
The driver also attempts to use more secure challenge-response
authentication whenever available.

- mbox driver performance improvements. Generally, flags are saved to
file as soon as possible - disappearing flags on premature balsa
termination should happen no more.

- numerous other performance improvements.

- filters reenabled. Observe that the configuration format has changed
and may change again before 2.2.0 is release.

- memory leaks plugged.

Report the bugs (preferably together with patches!) either on the mailing
list or to Bugzilla,
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/ . BTW, balsa is known to have interoperation
problems with gtk-2.4.0: some bugs in gtk-2.4.0 are exposed, and we know
that we do not preserve GtkTreeView row height as we should. Be warned.

The stable 2.2.0 release is approaching but there are a number of
problems to be solved before that happens. We would prefer to have a
stable configuration file format which takes some effort for more complex
options like filters. Largest single part missing is the port of GPGME
support.

Happy mailing!

On behalf of balsa team,

Pawel Salek