CORBA error

I use Balsa (2.0.14 and cvs) on two RH9.0 boxes. One was a fresh
install, and everything works. The other was upgraded from some
hoary old version, and recently started popping up an alert on
starting Balsa, with the message:

  An error occurred while loading or saving configuration
  information for balsa. Some of your configuration settings may
  not work properly.

A `Details' button shows four copies of:

  Configuration server couldn't be contacted:
   CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/BAD_OPERATION:1.0

I haven't noticed any settings not working, but Balsa may have
become more prone to hangs.

Any ideas about what's wrong, or what I can do to diagnose it?