UPDATE RE: printer specification - Is this a bug?

After posting the message below, I executed "apt-get dist-upgrade".
About an hour later, the problem FOR THE MOST PART has disappeared.
The CONFIGURE button still is dimmed-out, but now, when a "custom"
printer location is entered, the location is retained from one print
job to the next.  (What a relief!)

So it appears that the problem I described earlier (together with the
problem of the CONFIGURE button being dimmed out) lies in the Gnome2
desktop, rather than in Balsa.

I failed to mention that I have been loading packages and updating from
the Debian "unstable" archive, because some of the packages I am
running have not yet made it to "testing" or "stable".

RLH

MY PREVIOUS MESSAGE FOLLOWS:
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Two weeks ago, I posted to this list the following message, but have
received no replies, so I'll try again:

I am using Balsa 2.0.15 on the Gnome2 desktop in Debian 3.0.

I would like to be able to change the default print command string
from "lp" to something such as "lpr -Phplj4ps".

But using:

 menu -> print -> printer tab -> "settings" and "location" fields

I discover that the "settings:configure" button is dimmed-out.  Under
"location", I am able to select "custom" and then enter "lpr -
Phplj4ps", but this change holds only for one print job; immediately
afterward, the default reverts to "lp".

Am I taking the wrong approach, or has the ability to change the
default print command string not yet been implemented?

I have searched through all the menus, and have tried Gnome Command
Center, and I find no place in which to set the default printer for all
applications.

RLH