Re: some devel-questions

Am 2003.04.30 23:18 schrieb(en) Darko Obradovic:
> Am 30.04.2003 04:18 schrieb(en) Peter Bloomfield:
>> On 04/29/2003, mt@abe-si.de wrote:
>>> 4) Why use balsa not gconf for store the settings? It's a bad idea
>>> to use gconf?
>>
>> Imho, no, just some work...but others may disagree.
>
> As much as I've experienced, GConf is heavily used for single options,
> and most applications apply them in real-time then, which is very cool
> in Gnome2. Migrating to such a behaviour should be worth the effort I
> guess.
> On the other hand, it might be more tricky to insert lists/arrays of
> undefined length in gconf, like accounts, identities, mailbox-settings...
>
> Therefor a split into pure preferences and user-data would be an idea as

I don't think this split has to be done!
I've seen other programs handling this with folders (or directories, don't
know the fitting word :-)

So Perhaps the gconf-tree looks like this:

balsa
   |-
   |-UserData
   |     |-Identities
   |     |      |-MailingLists
   |     |      |      |-All things needed here
   |     |      |-Business
   |     |             |-All things needed here
   |     |
   |     |-AdressBooks
   |            |-MyGcal
   |            |-Ldap_on_Moppi

   |-Mailboxes
   |     |-ServerAccounts
   |     |      |-BigISP
   |     |          |-Type, User, Password Whatever
   |     |
   |     |-LocalMailboxes
   |            |-Inbox
   |            |   |-Values
   |            |-Outbox
   |                |-Values

   |-Preferences
         |-Display
              |-PreviewPane

and so on (think you got it :-)
At least the panel, gnome-volume-control and gnome-settings do it that way.

cu
/Steffen

--
  /"\
  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign    |  "The best way to predict

PGP signature