Re: Compose window options

Am 12.03.03 21:19 schrieb(en) Steffen Klemer:
> Yes, it is a good patch (as far as I'm able to tell about this)

Thanks!  :-))

> It has only one little disadvantage (but it's also possible that this
> has been in balsa for a longer time):
> signed msgs with attachments aren't marked as including an attachment...

Oops, I didn't see that yet... I'll try to find & fix the reason for that.
I also saw that the "verbose" signature description will be displayed only
when clicking on it, but of course it should be shown automatically when
the message is selected. If a message contains an embedded signed
message/rfc822 part, *this* signature is displayed. Strange.

> and perhaps it will be possible to enable a display of an (in)valid sig
> in the headers-pane?

Yes, the ui is still a real mess... I thought of either a line of text or
maybe a nice icon (think of mozilla's https indicator) in the headers
section.

However, things are a lot more complicated if you remember that signed
messages may have nested messages included, which in turn may or may not
be signed. Included messages may again contain such objects, building a
complex tree... you get the picture. Unfortunately balsa completely hides
the internal structure of complex messages to the user. Concerning
signatures, it is now impossible to tell who actually signed which parts
of the mail (the only way to get this information is from the source plus
some knowledge of rfc2045 & friends!). While this will be not critical for
average users, it might be a real nightmare for the paranoid.

So, imho, it is important the improve the message display in this respect,
maybe using a tree like sylpheed. I wrote a patch using a different
approach ~2 months ago (vertical lines according to the nesting depth left
to the message parts plus display of embedded message headers), but it
didn't make it into the code...

Cheers, Albrecht.

  Albrecht Dreß  -  Johanna-Kirchner-Straße 13  -  D-53123 Bonn (Germany)
        Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  mailto:albrecht.dress@arcor.de