Some issues running balsa without threads

Hello,

Some time ago I had the problem with threads,libaspell.la and freezes
in balsa.
Now the way to address this without interfering with "libaspell.la"
would be to use "--disable-threads" for configure.
It works stable with that, but there are some problems with fetching
mails from POP-servers:
- fetch mail on startup doesn't work anymore
- fetching by hand is extremely unresponsive, namely: no response at
all. No progress-popup, no messages in the status-bar.

Any ideas? I'd like to get a stable balsa running in an automated
compiling way for Gentoo Linux.
What's the issue with that libaspell anyways? I didn't get an answer
then, and couldn't find anything in the archives. Where does that
problem come from?

bye,

Darko