GURUS: Attachment types - how does this work?

Hi people,

I am using Balsa 1.4.2 .

Question 1:

I got an Excel spreadsheet from someone and the header had:

When I look at the attachment icon it confirms the
"application/octet-stream" type and does not recognise it as an Excel
spreadsheet.

I sent myself an Excel spreadsheet and that header has:

This is correctly recognised as an Excel spreadsheet and prompts me to
open it with Star Office.

The first mail was sent with Eudora on Windows the second with Balsa of
course.

Why is the first not recognised as an Excel spreadsheet?

Question 2:

I didn't get an answer when I posted this before so I'm trying again:
How can I manually edit Gnome config files (RH 7.3/8.0) to specify
particular applications (eg xpdf) for particular attachments (eg *.pdf
files)?  I can't run the Gnome desktop on these user's X terminals.

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

Pricom Pty Limited  (ACN 003 252 275  ABN 91 003 252 275)
GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW	2001
Australia
Mobile:  +61:0411-185-652