Re: New mailbox interface and gmime messages

On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 13:36:10 Pawel Salek wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Bart Visscher wrote:
> > [snip]
> > I was thinking about the imap case, you could get a selected set of the
>
> > headers with, for example, the FETCH command. So when doing threading
> you
> > first fetch all the 'message-id', 'references' and 'in-reply-to'
> headers,
> > use that to build a threaded tree, and than fetch only for the messages
> in
> > view the 'subject', 'date', etc headers.
> > So if you want to minimize the bandwidth used for imap you should
> request
> > the absolute minimum at the display part. How the mailbox and message
> part
> > handles it, is not the consern of the display part, it should just ask
> the
> > message/mailbox where you can do a lot of smart things.
>
> Actually, when one wants to thread messages in imap mailboxes
> one has only to parse output of
> tag THREAD REFERENCES UTF-8 ALL
>
> THREAD extension is basically supported by all imap servers used today,
> AFICT.
>
> The same goes for sorting.
Of course, I saw it in the CAPABILITY list or how it's called, but didn't
make the connection.
The conclusion then is that the mailbox should return a threaded or sorted
list when asked.

Bart
--
When a guy says "the last thing I'd wanna do is hurt you" it just means
he's gotta do other things first.