Re: Printing of HTML emails still impossible.

Am 24.06.03 16:43 schrieb(en) Peter Bloomfield:
> Agreed!  Perhaps we should revert to GtkHtml for handling html
> messages--it has a printing section in its api, and GtkHtml2 (which has
> been used in all Balsa-2.0.x versions) seems to have none.  Does anyone
> have any insights?

IIRC, gtkhtml has been *very* unstable, killing balsa on a regular basis
through some types of adv/spam mails. This has been resolved only with
Gnome 2.2, so **please** don't move backwards!!

I must admit that I doubt if html printing is (a) necessary and (b) easy
to do.

My *personal* pov is that html printing is not necessary, as 99% of the
html-only mails I get are spam. Some people send multipart/alternative
with a html and a plain part containing the same information (read: text,
not font/color/...). I know that there have been extensive discussions
about html mails here, and I don't want to start that again. *I* think, if
it should be implemented, it has a *very* low priority.

The second point is that afaict html rendering/printing may be difficult
to implement in the current framework. The only quick and easy solution
would be an api which returns pixmaps or ps structures for a given area
(remember that the html part may start somewhere on balsa's printout, due
to headers/other parts). Implementing that within balsa itself would be a
*huge* task and incomplete almost forever; even mozilla can not print
everything correctly...

Just my ¤ 0.01...

Cheers, Albrecht.

  Albrecht Dreß  -  Johanna-Kirchner-Straße 13  -  D-53123 Bonn (Germany)
        Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  mailto:albrecht.dress@arcor.de

PGP signature