Re: [balsa] balsa won't launch browser

On 2003.07.28 19:41, M. Thielker wrote:
> On 2003.07.29 00:57 Jack wrote:
>> Balsa just freezes, and I can only kill it with a ^C from the
>> launching terminal.
>
> This is the result of a messed up library dependency. libc is linked
> as part of the user libraries, before libpthread. -lc should not be
> mentioned on the linker command line.
>
> Libtool builds it from the dependency libs in the .la files in /usr/
> lib. IIRC, one of the spell libraries, pspell, should be the culprit.
> The .la files are plain text files, -lc must be removed from the
> dependency_libs line in the .la file. Then reconfigure and rebuild
> and things should work.

Melanie - thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure that's my problem.

after configuring with "./configure --prefix=/usr/local/gnome2 --
libexecdir=/usr/local/gnome2/sbin --localstatedir=/var/lib --
sysconfdir=/etc/gnome"  (on one line) -pthread is in Makefile in
BALSA_CFLAGS and BALSA_LIBS, but there is no -lc anywhere in Makefile.

/usr/lib has only the following .la files (no pspell):
libImlib.la  libdb-4.0.la      libfreetype.la  libgcj.la
libgettextsrc.la  libmisc.la  libobjc.la     libshadow.la  libsupc++.la
libbfd.la    libdb_cxx-4.0.la  libg2c.la       libgettextlib.la
libltdl.la        libmng.la   libopcodes.la  libstdc++.la  libungif.la

and libgcj.ja is the only one to mention -pthreads and it comes before
-lc.

However, ldd balsa does show libc before libpthread - so I'll continue
hunting through the Makefil to see what I might change.

Other hints welcome.