Re: Balsa's thread handling very buggy.

On 2003.07.17 16:33, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
> On 07/17/2003, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> > On 2003.07.15 16:54, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
> [ snip ]
> >> Try unchecking `Settings => Preferences => Misc => Delete
> >> immdediately', and uncheck `Hide deleted' on the same page.  If the
> >> parent is left in the view but marked as deleted, nothing else
> >> changes.
> >
> > Okay, that is a workaround, but only works in one session.
>
> If it works in only one session, you've uncovered another bug! Settings
> are supposed to be saved and restored between sessions.

No, I mean, the messages have to be deleted eventually. I usually do
that before I close balsa. The next time, those messages are gone.

> [ snip ]
> > Well, mutt does it fine, and so do most newsreaders ... a thread is
> > handled as a group. Among threadgroups, you sort by the earliest or
> > latest messagedate in that group. In the thread itself, it's simply
> > thread sort order. If the parent is missing, sort messages on the
> > same 'level' on date again. (substitute 'date' for whatever is being
> > sorted on). Yes, this can change sorting order, but at least all
> > messages remain part of the single thread. That is my main problem,
> > the fact that the thread is broken into multiple threads spread all
> > over the mailbox ...
>
> The only time I see subthreads `spread all over the mailbox' is when I
> delete the head of the thread.

That is what I mean.

> If the thread is:

> and I delete b, I get:

> ...still a single thread--is this not what you get?

Yes, but I mean if I have

m1
m2
m3
m4
m5

and I delete a I get

m1
m2
m3
m4
m5

and I'd prefer

m1
m2
m3
m4
m5

or even

It's kind of hard to explain what makes the most sense - IMHO, how mutt does
it is the most 'natural' way. If you have mutt installed perhaps you should
try it to see what I mean, with the following in .muttrc

set sort=threads
set sort_aux=last-date-received

Mike.