Re: Balsa's thread handling very buggy.

On 2003.07.15 16:54, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
> On 07/15/2003, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> > 1. When the parent is deleted, the thread should still be linked
> >    together.
> >    I'm using JWZ threading, I read the algorithm description, and it
> >    should be no problem. Just a UI bug ?
> > 2. Deleting a message in a thread should not result in the rest of
> >    the
> >    thread getting collapsed
> >

> Try unchecking `Settings => Preferences => Misc => Delete
> immdediately', and uncheck `Hide deleted' on the same page.  If the
> parent is left in the view but marked as deleted, nothing else changes.

Okay, that is a workaround, but only works in one session.

> IMO, 1. isn't a bug: When a parent is deleted and removed from the
> view, it's children are promoted to children of the parent's parent, or
> to the top level, if the parent was the head of the thread.  Wherever
> they are, they're then sorted according to whatever sort criterion you
> have set, and the sorting can move them around. We could try to
> temporarily turn off sorting, but (a) I don't know how, and (b) when
> would you turn it back on?

Well, mutt does it fine, and so do most newsreaders ... a thread is handled
as a group. Among threadgroups, you sort by the earliest or latest messagedate
in that group. In the thread itself, it's simply thread sort order. If
the parent is missing, sort messages on the same 'level' on date again.
(substitute 'date' for whatever is being sorted on). Yes, this can change
sorting order, but at least all messages remain part of the single thread.
That is my main problem, the fact that the thread is broken into multiple
threads spread all over the mailbox ...

> Avoiding 2. would be nice. Marking each message with its state before
> deleting anything, and restoring the state afterwards, might be
> feasible. Going back to the default of expanding everything would, IMO,
> be less desirable, though probably better than the current treatment!

Same goes when a new message arrives as a reply to an existing message-
a thread is created in collapsed mode. This should, IMHO, follow the
setting in preferences -> display -> threading

Mike.