Filters in balsa

I am running Balsa 2.0.11, on Linux version 2.4.20-3-k7, Debian.  The
documentation and FAQ indicate that e-mail filters are possible, but they do
not tell how to implement an existing filter.

When running mh (exmh), the filter which pipes into spamc and then into
mailagent runs OK, and I want to transfer this to balsa, but am at a loss on
how/where to set the needed change.  Any suggestions ??

I want to switch to Balsa permanently; it is smaller and much easier to set
up, and has the advantage that it can accept/read mail from a variety of
mailbox formats (including mh type directories) and thus can recall old mail
from a variety of systems.

P.S.
The Debian version (deb file) of 2.0.11 may have a problem in its library
dependencies, related to using aspell instead of ispell -- as far as I can
tell; e.g. when loading both 'pan' and 'balsa', only one of the two gets
accepted.  I can provide more info if needed.

A. van Roggen