a problem with message headers

I have a problem with mail I send: when I send mail with "from" address
or subject which contain russian characters other programs display them
incorrectly.

If I send a mail from one of my mailboxes to another and view it with
Balsa - everythin is OK. But when I send a mail and try to view it
either through a web-interface or through a program like Outlook
Express or The Bat every russian character is converted to a sequence
of 2 characters. So, message subjects' as well as "from" field's
russian parts become absolutely unreadable.

To be more preciese, my locale is ru_RU.UTF-8 and message encoding is
KOI8-R. Now I'm using balsa-2.0.8. As far as I know 2.0.9 is a bugfix
release which doesn't contain a fix for this bug.