Re: Comments please: gpg/rfc 3156 support for balsa (looong) (and gmime)

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:11:28 Carlos Morgado wrote:

> On 2003.02.25 16:34:13 +0000 Albrecht Dreß wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> attached is a big (sorry, I don't have a home page) patch against 2.0.9
>> which is a first attempt to implement gpg signing and encryption
>> according
>
> cool!
>
>> to rfc 3156. It is **not** a completely working solution, but more a
>> "tech
>
> good, as the roadmap that has been secretly ploted (muahahahhaha) impacts
> this. in my mind the future of balsa includes gmime - this is not writen
> in stone but people seem to consider it a generaly good idea - being the
> future somewhere around 2.1.
> gmime knows about multipart-encripted and multipart-signed so we get it
> basicly for free and all we have to do is write UI for it.
> gmime also means abandoning libmutt header/body structures and doing some
> work on the backend which means *not* 2.0.
>  now i feel guilty for not posting this ideas to the list earlier, but
> i'll
> to my defense it was just this weekend i had time to sit down a bit and
> give this plot some quality time.
>
> i'm all for pgp on 2.0 but as i said before the backend work will be at
> least partially lost if we do use gmime so, this looks like a good time
> to ask, does anyone have anything to say against using gmime ?
> (gmime can be made part of the balsa tarball to avoid yet another
> dependency)

I've been slowly working on porting my patch for a mailbox interface to
balsa2, I haven't been working hard on it, because the last time I posted
a patch, there wasn't much feedback. At the moment I'm still using mutt as
the backend but it is abstracted away from balsa, and uses gmime as the
message container. If people want this I'll try to get a patch out this
week or this weekend the latest.

Bart
--
mixed emotions:
Watching a bus-load of lawyers plunge off a cliff. With five empty seats.