Re: Comments please: gpg/rfc 3156 support for balsa (looong) (and gmime)

Le 2003.02.25 13:11, Carlos Morgado a écrit :

> On 2003.02.25 16:34:13 +0000 Albrecht Dreß wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> attached is a big (sorry, I don't have a home page) patch against
>> 2.0.9 which is a first attempt to implement gpg signing and
>> encryption according
>
> cool!
>
>> to rfc 3156. It is **not** a completely working solution, but more a
>> "tech
>
> good, as the roadmap that has been secretly ploted (muahahahhaha)
> impacts
> this. in my mind the future of balsa includes gmime - this is not
> writen
> in stone but people seem to consider it a generaly good idea - being
> the
> future somewhere around 2.1.
> gmime knows about multipart-encripted and multipart-signed so we get
> it
> basicly for free and all we have to do is write UI for it.
> gmime also means abandoning libmutt header/body structures and doing
> some
> work on the backend which means *not* 2.0.
>  now i feel guilty for not posting this ideas to the list earlier,
> but i'll
> to my defense it was just this weekend i had time to sit down a bit
> and
> give this plot some quality time.
>
> i'm all for pgp on 2.0 but as i said before the backend work will be
> at
> least partially lost if we do use gmime so, this looks like a good
> time
> to ask, does anyone have anything to say against using gmime ?
> (gmime can be made part of the balsa tarball to avoid yet another
> dependency)

Hm the question is : if Albrecht has something which is almost working
in the 2.0.x frame, do we want to wait any longer to have pgp support?
I do not use it but I understand that a lot of people seems to complain
about this absence in Balsa.
Note that sure we will loose PART of Albrecht work if we use gmime for
2.1.x, but the GUI part will have time to settle down, be polished. So
we will be able to just do the grunt work f changing the backend
without any normal user ;-) even noticing it.
So I think we could evaluate if Albrecht's work is advanced enough to
give us an immediate support of pgp in balsa-2.0.x, and then decide
what to do?
Bye
Manu