Spell checking in US english instead of UK

Can anyone please tell me why my Balsa insists on American spellings in
spite of every variable throughout my whole system being set to en_UK
or en_GB?  I am using Aspell .33.7.1 with Mandrake 8.2, Icewm window
manager and Balsa 1.4.1.  I have checked all the docs thoroughly and
certainly have the right files and dictionaries and entries in
configurations.  This is particularly annoying as I moved from Sylpheed
to Balsa for the spell check!

John