smtp1.mail.com uses non-standard SMTP AUTH syntax

Balsa users attempting to connect to the mail.com smtp server will fail.

I recently upgraded my Linux workstation to Redhat 7.3 and installed Balsa.  The Pop3 interface to “pop1.mail.com” worked fine.  The SMTP interface to smtp1.mail.com failed. I contacted Brian Stafford <brian@stafford.uklinux.net> (the author of the SMTP interface) and his response was:

“The server at smtp1.mail.com uses non-standard SMTP AUTH syntax. This is the syntax that was described in an early draft and never became part of the final RFC. “ … “Unfortunately the draft that described this is no longer available so the support offered is based on my memory of the draft and a bit of protocol tracing!  The real cure is to fix the server.”

I notified the admin at mail.com and am posting this so others don't spend hours diagnosing the problem.  If I hear from mail.com I'll update this list.

Thanks

Nick Massey
NickMassey@Mail.com