Re: qmail smtp auth patched server doesn't work with balsa

On Wed 10:59, 12 June 2002 Matthias Andree wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Brian Stafford wrote:
>
> > The only deployed AUTH patch for qmail I've seen is the one using the
> > non-standard AUTH= syntax, described in an internet draft, never made into
> > RFC, undocumented, etc etc.  For some reason ISPs are obsessed with
> > deploying this brain damage instead of using the standard.
>
> AFAICT from the postfix-users mailing list, Outlook Express 4 needed
> this broken syntax and would not work with proper SMTP AUTH.

M$ Exchange's solution to this is to offer AUTH twice in the EHLO response,
once with just AUTH=LOGIN and once offering the full list of supported SASL
mechanisms using the correct syntax.

libESMTP's AUTH= hack will correctly accept EHLO responses with one of both
AUTH syntaxes.

Brian