@MSGMERGE@ Error in balsa Makefile

Hi

Since I've upgraded from Red Hat 7.2 to 7.3 I've been unable to make balsa from cvs which I've been doing nightly for the past year or so.  As usual I first run sh autogen.sh.  There's nothing out of the ordinary in the config.log.

When I subsequently run make, I get

Making all in po
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/cvs/balsa/po'
make .pot-update
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/cvs/balsa/po'
sed -e '/^#/d' remove-potcdate.sin > t-remove-potcdate.sed
mv t-remove-potcdate.sed remove-potcdate.sed
/usr/bin/xgettext --default-domain= --directory=.. \
  --add-comments=TRANSLATORS:  \
    --files-from=./POTFILES.in \
      --copyright-holder=''
      test ! -f .po || { \
        if test -f ./.pot; then \
            sed -f remove-potcdate.sed < ./.pot > .1po && \
                sed -f remove-potcdate.sed < .po > .2po && \
                    if cmp .1po .2po >/dev/null 2>&1; then \
                          rm -f .1po .2po .po; \
                              else \
                                    rm -f .1po .2po ./.pot && \
                                          mv .po ./.pot; \
                                              fi; \
                                                else \
                                                    mv .po ./.pot; \
                                                      fi; \
                                                      }
                                                      make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/cvs/balsa/po'
                                                      @MSGMERGE@ --update az.po .pot
                                                      /bin/sh: @MSGMERGE@: command not found
                                                      make[2]: *** [az.po] Error 127
                                                      make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/cvs/balsa/po'
                                                      make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
                                                      make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/cvs/balsa'
                                                      make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

Makefile in the po subdirectory seems to have a new unresolved entry

MSGMERGE = msgmerge
MSGMERGE_UPDATE = @MSGMERGE@ --update

Here are the software levels of some of the components.

autoconf-2.13-17
automake-1.4p5-4
gcc-2.96-110
gettext-0.11.1-2