Re: Bcc not working?

From: "Pawel Salek" <pawsa@theochem.kth.se>
To: "Thomas Maeder" <maeder+balsa@glue.ch>
Cc: <balsa-list@gnome.org>
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2002 8:48 AM
Subject: Re: Bcc not working?

> On 2002.02.17 22:36 Thomas Maeder wrote:
> > Am 2002.02.17 20:23 schrieb(en) Pawel Salek:
> >>
> >> I would start from upgrading libesmtp
> >> http://www.stafford.uklinux.net/libesmtp/ - I recall vaguely some
> >> problems with 0.8.4 that were fixed later on.

I've seen the same problem.  It was fine with Balsa-1.2.3 and libesmtp-0.8.4
(i.e. RedHat 7.2 standard) but appeared when I upgraded to Balsa-1.2.4 and
libesmtp-0.8.9 from the web site.  I don't know which part causes it.

Looking at libesmtp's web site, it seems to now be up to 0.8.10p1, but I
can't see any mention of any Bcc related problems.

> > Thanks. I tried this (with the libesmtp downloadable from
> > http://www.balsa.net), but it didn't help.
> >
> > How can I see the messages exchanged by Balsa and the SMTP server?
>
> Compile libbalsa/send.c with DEBUG defined. (CFLAGS=-DDEBUG ./configure
> <options> is sure-shot but probably overdoing).
>
> Basically, when Bcc is set, the message is being sent twice, first to the
> primary recipients, and secondly to the Bcc recipients.

What!  This is just plan wrong.  I don't know what libesmtp does, but it
should just include the addresses in the envelop and not in the headers of
the message.  Sending twice is a sure recipe for disaster, from crashes
cause only one and not the other going, through to different message ids on
the two messages.

> -pawel

Frank