Removing attachments from received mail

Greetings,

I've been using Balsa (currently 1.2.4) for quite a while now and some of
my mbox mailboxes are getting really bulky (and thus slow to open) because
of all the attachments with various iterations of documents I've been
exchanging with my co-authors ... is there a way (inside Balsa or
externally) to selectively strip attachments from mboxes, leaving the
message body intact (i.e. I would like only to keep the last version of
the attachment, but all the comments and accompanying messages from the
previous emails) ?
Wouldn't the Option 'Remove' be nice in the incoming attachment pane in
addition to 'Open, Save, Edit' ?

Cheers,
Wolfgang