Re: gentoo

On Mon 19:45, 22 April 2002 Lang Hurst wrote:
> I've been a longtime balsa user and am a huge fan.  Recently I've tried out
> the gentoo Gnu/Linux distro.  I'm very impressed with it.  I've managed to
> get most of my web apps and other configured and working. The only
> application that I can't get to work is Balsa.  This is a HUGE hurdle for
> me.  I know the other MUA's out there, but I'm about to switch back to
> Debian due to this.  This is more of a gentoo problem than a balsa problem,
> but I'm getting no help on the gentoo side.  When running autoconf, it quits
> with a esmtp error.  Yet I've installed libestmp both from the gentoo
> install (`emerge libesmtp`) and downloading the latest source and doing it
> by hand.  Then trying to install balsa through the emerge tool, or by
> downloading the source, I still get the esmtp failure.  Does anyone know how
> to get around this? Thanks for any reply.

I can't comment further because you don't specify the exact nature of the
ESMTP failure.

If it is an interaction with the server try using the test program that comes
with libESMTP.  The --monitor logs all interaction with the server.  If you
have built balsa from source, enable debugging and it will trace the
interactions in the same way on stderr.

If it is a link problem, try running balsa from an Xterm and see what messages
are written to the console.

Brian