Highlighting URLs

Balsa currently highlights a URL in a plain text message by setting it
in a distinctive color, and indicates when the cursor is over the URL
by:
  - changing the cursor to the `pointing hand';
  - showing the URL in the status bar at the foot of the main window.
In Gnome-2, text will be shown in a GtkTextView widget, which would
make it possible to add more bells and whistles. For instance, the text
could be underlined when the cursor is over it, or changed to yet
another color, or both. However, we shouldn't necessarily make such
changes just because we can! Has anyone seen a really effective
treatment that Balsa could adopt?